Effective Date: Feb16, 2016
MICHARITY Respects Your Right to Privacy
Your privacy and security are important to us. MICHARITY respects your right to privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information you provide to us. We use the information collected through our website to facilitate donation collection and processing, to provide tax receipts, to process online account registrations and to communicate relevant news and updates. MICHARITY does not trade, license, rent or sell your personal information in any manner.
Privacy Statement and Summary
General Privacy Practices
MICHARITY observes the following privacy practices:
- MICHARITY collects information only for specified purposes.
- We only require that you provide the necessary amount of personal information to provide any service, as required by law or by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- We may ask you for more information about yourself to help us provide you with more personalized information and services, but in such cases, you are not obligated to provide such information.
- Personal information gathered by MICHARITY is held in the strictest confidence and is protected by industry standard best practices.
- In certain instances, Donors are able to restrict the amount of information shared with the charities they support. In doing so, MICHARITY may not be able to provide certain services that require personal information. MICHARITY will inform you of the implications of opting out.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is defined as any information about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognize, identify or contact a specific individual, whether it concerns an email address, where an individual lives, or which interests, causes and organizations he or she supports. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an employee of an organization, and certain publicly available information.
Links to Third Party Sites
MICHARITY is committed to the following 11 privacy principles under PIPEDA:
- MICHARITY is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control and we have designated a Privacy Official who is accountable for MICHARITY’ compliance with PIPEDA. There are other individuals within MICHARITY who are responsible for day to day collection and management of personal information.
MICHARITY collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide tax receipts when users make an online donation, or use other services such as Fundraising Pages or Gift Cards.
- To allow users to create or register for a MICHARITY account and to manage those accounts.
- To administer pre-authorized recurring donations.
- To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
- To communicate directly with users, including through MICHARITY service news and updates, charitable promotions, charitable stories we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
- To provide client support and help.
Consent to use your personal information
- MICHARITY collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
- We will not, as a condition of the supply of our service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- A user may withdraw his or her consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Privacy Official of MICHARITY as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
- If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
MICHARITY limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information MICHARITY collects can be summarized as follows:
i: Personal Information provided to MICHARITY: MICHARITY collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with our website or otherwise with us, including the following:
ii: Non-Personal Information: When donors, volunteers, charities and other organizations access the secure section of our website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider. MICHARITY may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, what times of the day have the heaviest traffic, and which type of charity receives the most gifts. This information, collected in the aggregate, allows MICHARITY to better serve donors and charities. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and MICHARITY does not use any of this information to identify individuals. In certain cases, for the purposes of fraud detection and mitigation, IP addresses are collected in order to protect MICHARITY against possible illegal activities.
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
- Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information); and
- Donation history (such as amount donated and charities donated to);
- Tax receipt information; and
Account username and password information.
iii: Cookie-based Information: When our clients, donors, volunteers, and other constituents access the secure section of our website, a small text file called a “cookie” is sent from our web server to their web browser and is stored on their computer. Cookies allow us to recognize users while he or she is logged into the MICHARITY website. Cookies expire when the browser window is closed. Session Cookies employed by MICHARITY are strictly used to perform the function that the user intended, such as keeping the user logged into the service in a secure fashion and processing transactions and gathering donations into a Gift Basket. Some browsers can be set to reject all cookies. If you choose to modify your browser in this manner, some pages of this website may not function properly.
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- MICHARITY does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- MICHARITY does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- MICHARITY may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- MICHARITY may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability”.
- MICHARITY reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of MICHARITY in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
- MICHARITY retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you
MICHARITY takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. MICHARITY depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected. You must log-in to your MICHARITY online account to update, modify, correct or delete your personal information.
- MICHARITY makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
- All MICHARITY staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information.
- With respect to the handling of credit card information, Credit card numbers are not stored by MICHARITY, but instead each credit card is tokenized by the gateway and the token is stored. This ensures credit card numbers cannot be exposed via security intrusions or accidental data exposure.
- MICHARITY uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to help ensure the safety and security of online donations. SSL technology enables encryption (scrambling) of sensitive information, including passwords and credit card numbers, during your online transactions.
- MICHARITY has thorough security standards to protect our systems and your personal information against unauthorized access and use. This includes the security protections required by PCI compliance as well as specific procedures to keep your donation information secure, private and in Canada.
Upon request MICHARITY will:
i. Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
ii. Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorized third parties.
iii. Provide users with access to their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed by email to info@MICHARITY.com
MICHARITY will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
Where CASL applies to MICHARITY’ communications with users, donors or volunteers, MICHARITY is committed to complying with CASL and in particular the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.